Wednesday, May 24, 2006

May 20-Shabbat in Israel

I was ready for breakfast at 9:30. Michal prepared a wonderful Israeli breakfast that was enjoyed on the veranda. On a clear day Tel Aviv is visible, however, there was an overcast. Yet, the view was still incredible. After breakfast we headed to Netanya and visited friends of the Kramers. First we visited a family comprised of the bubba, her 2 sons, one daughter in law and several children one of whom is in the army and is the driver for one of the highest ranking military men who I do not recall, but, he is big. One must appreciate that this is a normal scene here. Families get together on the sabbath regardless of how observant they are. Eventually there was a spirited discussion on the fence and the status of the Palestinians. Opinions ranged from one extreme to the other. I was surprised to hear the grandmother offer sympathy for the Arabs, condemn the fence and rant on about how they are human beings. I held back as I was a guest in their home and I wanted to show respect. It was not easy. BTW the daughter in law is from Long Island and met her Israeli husband in the States.

Next we went to the home of English immigrants who are in charge of the Forgotten People Fund for tea. The total take for the walk was $6,000 so I was able to provide over 1/3 from my generous friends and family. The money collected is for a mass Bar Mitzvah of 15-17 kids. Tefillin and talit were purchased. The remainder of the funds are for transportation, a party and, of course, gifts. I was told that while the kids are excited the parents are more so.

Steve and Michal dropped me off at Cinema City in Herziliya where I met Guy. We ate at Tal Bagel (still the best bagel I have experienced) and since we could not get into DaVinci Code saw Mission Impossible III. It stunk. Guy who now has his license drove me back to the flat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home