Friday, May 19, 2006

May 16-17 Departure and Arrival

The flights become easier and easier. I have it down to a science. Departed Tues. 4 p.m. Flight attendant offers papers prior to takeoff. Read USA Today & Journal 1/2 hour into takeoff when dinner is served. Ordered Kosher this time. Much better than normal fare. Takes about an hour to eat. Then listen to some Rush programs I downloaded to the ipod until I dozed off for a few hours. Then watched movie on my laptop, Proof, which I highly recommend. Spoke to the Christian lady next to me who was making her 1st trip, but, had missed the group the day prior due to poor connection. She was very excited and asked me lots of questions. Time for a little more sleep and then breakfast. As we got closer to the Holy Land I offered my window seat to the Christrian lady so she could have a better view as we landed.

It was now 9:20 a.m. Wednesday 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I had no luggage as I had left most of my clothes in the apartment. Just a carry-on and 2 computers. I breezed past passport control and was thrilled to avoid the sometimes long wait for baggage. My dear friend Moshe, who usually picks me up, was getting married Wednesday night in Neot Kidumim (the Biblical Forest) so I had told him not to bother collecting me as Itay agreed to meet me at the airport. In any event, I could always take the train to Tel Aviv and then a short taxi ride to the apartment. As I exited into the waiting area I did not see Itay and then I heard this voice calling "Mr. Berman". It was Moshe. We embraced, kissed and he uttered those words that always bring a chill to me "Welcome Home". I located Itay, told Moshe to beat it and we headed for the apartment. The weather was perfect. Around 77, sunny and no chance of precip. It was very exciting to enter the apartment and all was in perfect order. Sagi, had taken my clothes to the laundry, had the apt. cleaned and turned on the electric, hot water, etc. All of the furniture has now arrived and the pad looked better than ever. Time for lunch, so we walked a few blocks to Gabrielle, one of my favorite restaurants where I had a nice ceasar salad. Itay and I then took the 10 minute walk to the shuk (market) so I could get the basics. I am always amazed to see radishes the size of baseballs. Took the provisions back to the apt. and looked to see which shirt I would wear that evening for the wedding. To my dismay, I did not have much clothes. I thought I had left much more. There was no under shorts, no jeans etc. So off we went to the mall in Ramat Gan. I purchased the things I thought I needed and we went back home. There I found all my clothes on the night table beside the bed. The clothes had been returned from the laundry wrapped in a purple paper. I had noticed the package earlier and thought it was toilet paper as the packaging was similar. Perhaps, the jet lag and lack of sleep affected my thinking. More than likely it was age. Sagi told me later that he had put a lot of thought as to where to place the clothes so I would not miss the package. To my dismay I found that the internet was not working and after several aggravating phone calls I gave up and will address the issue later. Yair Barda, my lawyer and friend, called and said he was in Jerusalem and was coming to have coffee with me and that he would pick me up to go to the wedding later in the day. I told him to skip the coffee as I needed to get a few hours sleep and I would see him later. Grabbed a few winks, dressed and waited for Yair to fetch me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home