Saturday, May 20, 2006

May 19-Who Is Stephen Kramer?

For years I have been reading a column in the local Jewish Times written by Stephen Kramer. He is from Atlantic City where I grew up. His family for many years has owned Kramer Beverage, a beer disributor. He and his wife fell in love with Israel and moved here with their 2 young boys in 1991. They live in a settlement, Alfe Menashe, which is a mile outside the green line, but, inside the fence. 2 Arab towns are on the other side of the fence. I can see tbhe Arab farmers working with their olive trees. I feel very secure with the fence. It is not a wall. About 2% of the entire fence is wall. There is a moat, then the chain link fence topped with barb wire and electrified. On our side of the fence there is a strip about 15 feet wide that is sand to show footprints in the unlikely event somone should get that far. Finally, there is a narrow road for patrol vehicles. I wonder if there will be a worldwide criticism of the immigrant wall or fence to be built to keep out Mexicans who come to the States to better themselves as there is opposition to this fence to keep out murderers. Steve's weekly column is about life in Israel. He is very opinionated and conservative. Living in a settlement, his views, are quite different from those of my friends in Tel Aviv, who as a general rule would be described as liberal with no sense of feeling or love for the settlers. And I am being overly generous with this assessment. A few months ago I emailed Steve, introduced myself, related how much columns like his have helped inspire me and understand the importance of Israel to the Jewish people. I told him of my love for the land, the recent purchase of the apartment and my thirst to learn as much as I can about israel, the people and my heritage. I expressed my desire, if he was willing, to meet with him, oberve his way of life and also reminesce about Atlantic City and the good old days. He immediately responded and was eager to accede to my wishes. We began a correspondence and planned to get together when I next came. When I decided to make this trip the wheels started and a little over a week ago he asked if I would like to walk with him and his wife, Michal, for a charity fund raiser. I agreed as the charity "The Forgotten People Fund" appealed to me after I read information on it. The purpose is to help Ethiopian immigrants who live in Netanya, about 6500 of them. They are in dire need of help and the purpose of this walk was to raise funds for a mass bar mitzvah. It will be held in June. The kids need tefillin and talit and, of course, a party. The organizers requested that each walker obtain sponsors who would pledge a total of 500 shekels which is about $115 per walker. I reached out to my friends and family and in a few days the checks came pouring in along with emails from people willing to sponsor me. Bottom line is the response was so overwhelming I raised $2,167 with still a few more people to be heard from

I awakened at 6 a.m. made myself some cheerios and banana. Itay collected me at 6:30 and we drove to Ra'anana about 1/2 hour outside of Tel Aviv to meet Steve and Michal at a prearranged place. Steve then drove to the country where the walk took place in a nature reserve. When I presented the checks to the the chairlady she broke down crying and asked if she could kiss me. It is obvious these are people of modest means and this was a huge number for them. So thank all of you for your support. Tomorrow I am going to the organizer's home and will have an understanding as to the impact we had.

Anyway, the walk. I was told it was 10 km. Wrong. It was 11. That is 6.6 miles. Since I am 66 perhaps there is some connection. I must say that my bunion has been bothering me lately, I have had much tenderness in my right ankle area and the knee that was scoped several years ago has not been all that great. I was concerned I could not finish let alone start. However, in the land of miracles, I believe, divine intervention came through and as soon as I saw the kids and the volunteers, all the pain disappeared and I was anxious to go. So with water in one pocket and an apple and banana in another, much sunscreen, I was on my way and finished in a little over 2 hours and that included rest room and water stops. BTW, all the ailments I described above have returned. During the walk Steve, Michal and I introduced ourselves and that along with the ipod shuffle helped the time pass.

After the walk we went to lunch and then drove to the settlement. This is the 1st time I have been to the territories. Coming here is exactly what I wanted as I am able to see with my eyes how important, this area at least, is to the security of the nation. Alfe Menashe, is not part of Olmert's, what I consider, stupid plan, to dismantle many settlements. Why are we rewarding terrorists with land? Whatever, I can see 2 Arab cities nearby and the fence which keeps the terrorists out. Tomorrow morning I will get to see more.

I took a nap to get ready for Shabbat (Sabbath). Steve and Michal are what is known as traditional Jews. They keep Kosher, which is easy here, go to synagogue about once a month, ride on Sabbath, and as most Israelis make a big deal out of Shabbat. Whether religious, traditional or secular Shabbat is everywhere. You can feel it in the early Friday afternoon as the businesses begin to close and the greeting is always "Shabbat Shalom". People know that it is a different, special day, the day G-d rested, a day for reflection, study and prayer for those who so choose. The Christian world relates in the same way with Sunday. So Steve and Michal were having friends over. Each Friday there is this type of interaction at someone's house. I took a nap and at 7:30 Michal lit the candles and Steve sang the kiddush just as Jewish families all over the world do every Friday evening.. We then all sang some Shabbat songs and sat down for a sumptuous dinner. After dinner, Steve and I talked about the issues facing Israel and around 11 I went to sleep. A great, rewarding day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was moved by your actions.

Stephen

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home